Can black mold cause neurological symptoms?

Human exposure to molds, mycotoxins, and water-damaged buildings can cause neurologic and neuropsychiatric signs and symptoms.

What neurological symptoms does mold cause?

Some of the neurologic symptoms of toxic mold include weakness, light sensitivity, sinus problems, blurred vision, concentration and memory issues, tremors and a general feeling of numbness.

How does mold affect nervous system?

People who live, work, or go to school in moldy buildings complain of pain, fatigue, increased anxiety, depression, and cognitive defects such as memory loss. Researchers say the symptoms are similar to those from bacterial or viral infections, due to the inflammatory cascades mold triggers.

Can mold toxicity cause neuropathy?

The authors concluded that exposure to molds in water-damaged buildings increased the risk for development of neural autoantibodies, peripheral neuropathy, and neurophysiologic abnormalities in exposed individuals.

Is brain damage from mold reversible?

Many patients with memory loss and dementia are actually simply toxic from mold, which is a reversible condition.

Toxic mold devastates family, causes myriad health problems

Can mold in house cause neurological problems?

Human exposure to molds, mycotoxins, and water-damaged buildings can cause neurologic and neuropsychiatric signs and symptoms.

What happens if you live with mold for years?

As for toxicity increases, people exposed to mould for the long term may start to experience symptoms such as persistent headaches and migraines, increased exhaustion and random muscle cramps. The person exposed in more severe cases may also suffer from sensitivity to light, unexplained weight gain and hair loss.

Can black mold affect your nerves?

Exposure to heavy indoor mold growth has been associated with many types of central and peripheral nerve problems including headaches, postural imbalance, concentration and memory problems, tremors, and distal numbness weakness [22-26].

Can mold exposure cause numbness and tingling?

According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), mold exposure can cause peripheral neuropathy, which gives us that mysterious tingling and numbness feeling.

Which toxins cause peripheral neuropathy?

Common toxins that cause neuropathy include: exposure to lead, mercury, arsenic and thalium. Some organic insecticides and solvents can result in neuropathies. Sniffing glue or other toxic compounds can also cause peripheral neuropathy.

How do you test for mold toxicity in the body?

The doctor will take a health assessment and health history, and will order blood testing. Antibodies in the patient's body will be checked for a reaction to mold and to other allergens and poisons. The severity of the reaction will also be determined. A skin test will also be part of the doctor's examination.

Can mold cause MS like symptoms?

Mold as a Cause of Multiple Sclerosis

Mycotoxins cross the blood-brain barrier and directly damage nerve cells. The damaged cells release debris that triggers an immune response creating more oxidative damage. The mycotoxin gliotoxin has been shown to cause nerve cell death and demyelination in research studies.

What are symptoms of black mold exposure?

Symptoms of Black Mold Exposure
  • Coughing.
  • Postnasal drip.
  • Sneezing.
  • Dry, scaly skin.
  • Itchy eyes, nose, or throat.
  • Nasal congestion.

What does black mold do to your brain?

Discovering Black Mold

Toxic mold exposure has also been linked to more serious, long-term effects like memory loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, trouble concentrating, and confusion.

What does mold toxicity feel like?

Each person's body is affected by mold toxicity in different ways. Some experience constant migraines and headaches, shortness of breath, brain fog, fatigue or even depression. Since symptoms differ from person to person, they may not be quickly associated with mold exposure.

How do you test for black mold?

To test for mold and mildew and how to tell if your house has mold, simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.

How long does it take to detox from mold?

Detoxing out mold (after confirming the individual has a clean environment) takes around a year in most cases. For these reasons, working with a professional is necessary. Please contact our office if you suspect you or a loved one has mold illness.

What are the symptoms of neurological disorders?

Structural, biochemical or electrical abnormalities in the brain, spinal cord or other nerves can result in a range of symptoms. Examples of symptoms include paralysis, muscle weakness, poor coordination, loss of sensation, seizures, confusion, pain and altered levels of consciousness.

How long does it take to get sick from black mold exposure?

These symptoms usually first appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure and last for 1 to 3 days. Other affected persons have progressive shortness of breath and cough, as well as weight loss. Work-relatedness may only become apparent over long holidays if symptoms resolve and then recur on return to work.

What are long term effects of living with black mold?

Long-term effects of mold exposure

increased risk of upper and lower respiratory symptoms. chronic sinusitis. fatigue. organ damage.

How do you recover from black mold exposure?

A solution of warm, distilled water and saline can also help rinse your nasal passages of mold spores and remove congestion. OTC medications. Antihistamines, like cetirizine (Zyrtec) or loratadine (Claritin), reduce your immune system response, minimizing airway inflammation.

Can black mold get into your bloodstream?

These molds can also become lodged in the air sinuses and cause sinusitis that fails to improve with antibiotic and decongestant therapy. In some cases infection can spread to the brain or even enter the blood stream resulting in spread throughout the body.

Can a doctor test you for mold exposure?

A blood test, sometimes called the radioallergosorbent test, can measure your immune system's response to mold by measuring the amount of certain antibodies in your bloodstream known as immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies.

Can you safely live in a house with mold?

It is possible to live in a home with mold if the moldy materials have been encapsulated as it prevents mold spores from becoming airborne. However, it is quite difficult to live in a house with mold if it is left unattended as it poses a significant risk to everyone.

Can an air purifier help with mold?

Do air purifiers help with mold? Air purifiers help capture mold spores from the air, preventing them from reproducing and spreading throughout your home. While air purifiers won't help treat active mold that's already present on surfaces, they are a great way to control the spread of airborne mold particles.