Oatmeal has innumerable benefits for the body, it is rich in protein, fiber, low in fat, contains zinc, magnesium B1, B2 and E. Other than that I like its taste. It’s on my list of super-foods to eat regularly.
How to prepare it:
Light version: Substitute milk for water or almond milk, and honey for splenda or any other sweetener.
10 reasons why I love oatmeal:
1. It helps us lose weight, being low in calories and reducing cravings. One cup contains only 130 calories! and it also stays longer in the stomach, making us feel full longer by helping us not to snack between meals.
2. Provides a high level of fiber, protein and is low in fat, more than any other grain. It also contains Vitamins, E, B1, B2 and minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus and magnesium.
3 . Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes: The complex carbohydrates in oats rich in fiber and slows the conversion of these into simple sugars. Oats make it easier to keep blood sugar levels stable since it has a slow absorption of hydrates, it is a rich source of magnesium, which is a mineral that helps and participates in the secretion of insulin.
4. Eliminate bad cholesterol without affecting good cholesterol. Studies have shown that the unique fiber in oatmeal called beta-glucan has beneficial effects on cholesterol levels. A high level of cholesterol can cause fatty plaques to accumulate on the walls of blood vessels and cause blockages or ruptures of these causing heart attacks, blocked strokes, blood clots
5. Suitable for some celiacs. Oatmeal is a cereal that is usually very well tolerated in people with celiac disease or those who are intolerant to wheat gluten. Although it is true that celiacs tend to completely avoid cereals that have gluten protein such as wheat, rye, barley and also oats, the latter has such a small amount that it is usually always tolerated, the mucosa of the small intestine is intact and the immune system responds normally. However, if you are celiac, consult your doctor before consuming it.
6. Contains lignans that protect against heart disease and cancer. Oats contain “lignans” which are also abundant phytochemicals in other whole grains that are synthesized thanks to the intestinal flora and that help protect heart disease and even breast cancer, such as enterolactone.
7. It is an antioxidant. The unique antioxidants in oats called avenanthramides, help prevent free radicals from damaging LDL cholesterol, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
8. Protects against heart failure. At Harvard they did a study on 21,000 participants over the age of 19 and showed that those who ate oatmeal every day in the morning had a lower risk of heart failure. (29% less!)
9. Improves our immune system. Oats have the property of increasing the immune response against bacterial infections. Beta-glucan helps immune cells to locate the source of infection and to eliminate the causative bacteria. Invasive pathogens are attacked by our immune defenses, and a bowl of oatmeal a day is enough to obtain this type of protection more efficiently and quickly.
10. Tastes good! Its flavor and texture are unmatched. There is nothing richer and more comforting than a warm oatmeal in the morning. If you don’t like it, try oatmeal water in the morning. Just soak a tablespoon of oatmeal overnight in a glass of water, strain it in the morning and drink it. So you take advantage of all its nutrients in the same way.