This is a well-known recipe in Ecuador, it is very simple and easy to prepare. The simplicity of this dish is characterized by the fact that the raw fish is “parboiled” or cooked with lemon juice and salt, then we mix it with onion, tomato, pepper and coriander.
Some recipes use only green peppers or only onion. If you want to add color, you can use yellow or orange peppers, this to give the ceviche more showiness. In some cases they choose white onion, but we prefer to use purple or red onion.
We love ceviche a lot, just hearing the word “ceviche” or seeing a photo makes our mouths water. Ceviche, also written as cebiche or seviche, is a typical dish from the beach area of Ecuador.
It is quite popular in almost all Latin American countries and there are many versions of this delicious dish.
In Ecuador there are many varieties of ceviche, they make it with fish or seafood, and each town in the coastal area considers that their ceviche is the best. As long as we use good quality ingredients and fresh fish, any variation of ceviche will be delicious.
In some restaurants they prepare the fish ceviche, placing the fish in boiling water for a few minutes. We do not recommend this method to prepare the ceviche. They do so to avoid the risk of eating raw fish.
Regularly in Ecuador, ceviche is made with corvina, also called hake. You can use fish like tilapia, dorado, white snapper, and sole to make fish ceviche.
Ecuadorian ceviche is usually served with chifles, tostones, or toasted corn. It is also accompanied with chili or hot sauce. Many people like to eat it when they have a hangover. It can be served as an aperitif in small glasses.
Preparation: 20 min
Cooking: 3 hours
- 1Kg of very fresh fish we recommend corvina, dorado, snapper or tilapia, cut into small cubes
- 2 finely chopped red onions (if it is very strong its flavor can be rinsed with water and salt)
- 4 diced tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
- The Juice of 12 Lemons
- 1 bunch of coriander finely chopped
- Salt and oil to taste
- Place the cubes of the fish of your preference raw in a glass container and cover them with salt and the juice of 10 lemons, the fish should be completely submerged in the lemon juice.
- Now we must cover the container with kitchen plastic and place it in the refrigerator for about 3 or 4 hours. We must wait for the fish to be completely parboiled by the lemon.
- Following this we must mix the chopped onion, tomatoes, peppers and coriander with the remaining lemon juice. We must add a little salt and let it rest for about an hour.
- When the fish is already cooked you can remove it from the lemon juice where it was cooked (if you want you can add it to the ceviche, there are people who find it very acidic and prefer less lemon). Mix the fish cooked in lemon with the mixture of onion, pepper, tomato, and coriander that we reserved previously. We can add salt and oil to taste.
- To serve the fish ceviche you can accompany it with chili or hot sauce and chifles. Tostones, toasted corn, or canguil are also a good option.