Today we give you the recipe for the classic Spanakorizo, Greek-style rice with an unsurpassed flavor and excellent properties for your diet, all this thanks to spinach. It is an original, healthy dish and you will like it a lot for its great taste and aroma.
Greece is a country with beautiful landscapes, where without a doubt you have to enjoy its varied and delicious cuisine. It is a place full of many attractions, there are many rich recipes in Greek cuisine, where we will find flavors and a lot of tradition. Today we select something from the cuisine of Greece, a rich recipe for Greek rice. We all know that rice is a fundamental food in any diet due to its nutritional value and its versatility in the kitchen.
An excellent accompaniment to this Greek rice is roast meat, or a good grilled fish. This dish is perfect for those who do not have much time to cook, since it is prepared quickly and the ingredients are easy to have in your kitchen. Enjoy a dish that everyone will love and you will surely make it part of your recipe book. No matter what season we are in, you can always enjoy a delicious rice dish.
This recipe for Greek rice (Spanakorizo) that we bring you today, is an example of simplicity and originality, you must remember that with very few ingredients you can make tasty and surprising dishes.
This delicious dish is usually accompanied with feta cheese and black olives, and don’t forget to add a good splash of lemon or lime before eating.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
• 600 gr Water or vegetable broth (preferably)
• 300 gr Rice
• 300 gr fresh spinach
• 2 small limes or lemons
• 1 large onion
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 handfuls of pitted black olives
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• Salt and black pepper to taste
1. The first thing you should do is cut the onion into small cubes. Place a jet of oil in a deep frying pan (this is where we are going to make the rice), Add two or three pinches of salt to the pan to make it sweat, then cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the finely chopped garlic and leave over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
2. Next we must cut the spinach into small pieces and place them in the casserole, add the zest of the two limes and a teaspoon of cumin.
3. Now you must lower the heat a little and cover it, wait for it to cook for 5 minutes. After that time the spinach should have diminished a lot, give them several turns to avoid burning.
4. At this time we must add the rice and ground pepper to taste, stir for one or three minutes so that the rice is impregnated with all the flavors.
5. Add the water or broth and a little salt. Right now we must lower the heat one point and cover the casserole or pan. Let it cook for about 15 minutes (or the time recommended by the manufacturer on the rice packaging).
6. When done, serve with black olives and a quartered lime. Squeeze the lime or lemon just before eating.
• If you don’t want or don’t like finding long strips of spinach, you should cut the spinach into smaller pieces of 2 or 3 centimeters maximum.
• You will regularly find this typical Greek rice accompanied with cubes of feta cheese (add them just when serving).