If you like seafood recipes, this is ideal for a first course and a good companion to a stronger second. We can advise you on different alternatives such as some fish meatballs, or rice with seafood.
In the home of Spanish families it is usually done every year for the December festivities. The recipe that we propose below is very simple, tasty and above all very economical.
This seafood cream features prawns or prawns, which give it all the seafood flavor. We cannot forget about the vegetables that make it even tastier.
There are many recipes for this cream, possibly it evokes a memory of your childhood or of a restaurant that you used to frequent with the family. All variations lead to an exquisite and delicious result.
The main ingredient in this preparation is shrimp as we mentioned earlier. Which we will make the most of because we will use their shells and heads for the preparation.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
- 800 gr of fresh or frozen prawns
- 150 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 4 red onions
- 2 large leeks
- 4 large carrots
- 250 ml of brandy or cognac
- 2 lt of water (for the stock) or fish broth (it will have more flavor)
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of toast
Preparation of the prawns.
- In this recipe you can choose prawns or prawns.
- The next thing we must do is peel them, remove the head and the shells that cover them.
- After peeling the prawns we must remove the intestine (a black thread that they have in the upper part)
We must dry and reserve the prawns to grill. In order to decorate the dish at the end of the preparation.
Preparation of the prawn broth or stock
- With what we reserve the shells and heads of the prawns. We must pass them through a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot you must add the heads and bodies of the prawns. We must turn them until they change color.
- At this moment we are going to flame, we add the brandy we set it on fire. You should shake the pan until the flame is completely extinguished. We booked.
- Now you need to peel the onions and chop them in half. Then cut into julienne strips and add to a casserole with a little extra virgin olive oil. You should brown over low heat for about 5 minutes. Then we wash, peel and chop the carrots. You must do the same with leeks and garlic cloves.
- At this time we add water until it is in the middle of the casserole. In this casserole will go the remains of prawns, brandy, onion, carrots, leeks, garlic and water to make the broth. We must add to complement a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- We must cook all this for half an hour. When all the flavors are integrated we take it to the blender. Then with a fine strainer, we remove the remains of the broth, it should be clean and without any remains of peels. The result will be a more substantial broth with a somewhat reddish color.
Ready our prawn stock. We reserve to use later.
Seafood cream preparation
- The first thing we must do is cut the bread into slices, we place them in a saucepan with a little oil. Turn the bread slices over medium heat until they start to brown.
- Following this we must add a teaspoon with paprika. We mix everything so that the flavors come together.
- Now we must add the stock that we have made previously. We hope to cook until the bread is all soft and helps us to thicken the mixture. About 10 minutes over medium heat will be enough. Remember to stir so that the bread does not stick to the pan.
- We check the salt levels and if necessary, we add salt and pepper. The last thing we have left is to blend until we get a creamy texture.
The ideal texture should be cream, in case it is a little thick you can add a little whole milk or liquid cream.
Preparation of the grilled and plated prawns
- To close with a flourish, we are going to cook the grilled prawns that we have reserved previously.
- Put a little oil in a pan and place the prawns.
- Cook for just a minute and a half, until they are pink.
- Select a deep plate, add the hot cream and serve with the prawns (you can place them on the edge of the bowl for an elegant touch. Sprinkle finely chopped fresh parsley and enjoy this delight.